Saturday, August 8, 2020

ADHD & MATH



ADHD isn't like a broken leg, it's a constellation of executive dysfunctions that vary in severity and/or typicality.

Mine are primarily focus, working memory, situational awareness, and a tendency to engage in tangential thinking.

I can get absolutely lost in a programming project, game, book, etc. (i.e. things that I find intrinsically interesting), but I have to actively focus and dedicate my mind for chores, work tasks, social interactions, basically all the things that my mind doesn't find interesting (and are actually sources of mental pain without stimulants of some kind).

I can remember my first girlfriend's phone number, what she was wearing when she gave it to me, the color of the sky that day, and the broken locker we stood in front of, but I often forget what I just read.

I'm not clumsy in movement, but I will frequently knock glasses over, lose objects I /just put down/, and bump my arms/legs on things I /wasn't paying attention to/.

My thoughts flow one into the other on any related point of information, without ceasing. I need to plan what I want to say or it goes on forever as I tap into that thought stream verbally. I often go down thought rabbit holes based on a single detail. Adderall helps alleviate these symptoms, but the body load is too much. I have had much better quality of life since learning to meditate and switching to caffeine (also getting good sleep - poor sleep fucks up your executive functions worse than alcohol).

I have to check bus timetables several times or repeat the times non stop

Watching lectures is painful even on 2x speed

I cant stand conclusions and superfluos text, and on that note i hate time wasting when the difference is usually only a few seconds.

In terms of training oneself i basically repeate my end goals in life, foe me my motivator is death, its what stops me destroying stuff now days, and i get general spazzing out.

Do you not understand the notation? Each of the large ∧ symbols on the left is performing a conjunction ('and') on multiple terms, analogous to how sigma notion performs addition of multiple terms.

If you construct a matrix where m[i,j]=(¬p[i]∨¬p[j]), the overall expression is the conjunction of all terms on one side of the main diagonal (not including the diagonal itself). As the matrix is symmetric (¬p[i]∨¬p[j] = ¬p[j]∨¬p[i]), it wouldn't matter if it included the opposite side, so long as it doesn't include the main diagonal i=j. IOW, it's the conjunction of every distinct term of the form ¬p[i]∨¬p[j] where i≠j.

¬p[i]∨¬p[j] = ¬(p[i]∧p[j]) is true if at most one of p[i] and p[j] are true. If both p[i] and p[j] are true then the expression is false. The outer conjunction is only true if all terms are true. As the conjunction involves every possible pair of p[i],p[j] for i≠j, it's only true if there exists no pair for which both are true,. If there were two or more true propositions, one of the pairs p[i],p[j] would have ¬p[i]∨¬p[j] false and thus the conjunction overall would be false.

My advice is from somebody in England, so make of this what you will. I'd have to look at the specific syllabus for this advanced course but if your goal is just getting hired you're actually better off taking a pure math degree and teaching yourself to program in your own time.

It may be nonsensical but programming is one of the smaller aspects to a development job, or rather the coding practices one picks up in a typical university are used less than the standards you pick up post being hired. Mathematics comparatively can't really be taught on the fly, furthermore all math degrees should include elements of programming and afford you many opportunities to develop a more technical portfolio by the time you graduate. If you take a very comprehensive CS course they may include enough applied math but it'd still pale in comparison to what even a general math degree would teach you.

The exceptions to the above advice are if you want to work in hardware as an engineer, I can imagine a math degree would still be very helpful but I'm not speaking from experience on that point, my guess is that you'd be best served taking a good CS degree were that your inclination; nor can I speak on physics, I've not studied it nor are my immediate colleagues trained in it.

Best of luck. Were I you I'd take a math degree and spend my first year trying as many different things in the field as I could, decide on a specific job and specialty and then work backwards to fill in my competencies. Any good institute will allow you to change course after the first year and possibly transfer credits as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SeXPatS

How many of you are sexpats? Is my fob Chinese girl friend that studies In America a sexpat? I feel like she just really clingy, an...